Click Here for the 2016 Senior Support Guidelines (Word Document)
Click Here for the 2016 Senior Support Application (Word Document)
In an effort to assist seniors who “fall through the cracks” in obtaining financial assistance for unmet needs, BASA formed the Senior Support Team. With funds raised from the Senior Expo, BASA is able to provide up to $500 annually to seniors in need.
BASA Senior Support Team
In an effort to assist seniors who “fall through the cracks” in obtaining financial assistance for unmet needs, BASA formed the Senior Support Team. With funds raised from the Senior Expo, BASA is able to provide financial support in need.
- Senior must be 50+ and a resident of Grand Traverse or Leelanau County
- Income GUIDELINE: Applicant should have income at or around 200% of poverty.
- Applicants should apply to DHS for Shelter (heat, electric etc.) & Health assistance as appropriate. Denial from DHS preferred in these cases.
- Requests are limited to $500 annually – the amount may be increased at the discretion of the Team, particularly if a new type of need arises.
- Other possible funding sources should be explored prior to requesting Senior Support team funds.
- All applicants are encouraged to pay a portion of the requested amount; either by self or family members.
- A BASA member/Agency must act as an advocate for the senior making the request
- BASA member must complete the Senior Support Team application
- BASA member is to assist senior in accessing all other potential funding sources
- Completed applications for Grand Traverse County are submitted to Grand Traverse County COA (Marsha Johnson) to be distributed to Support Team members.
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org or Mail to: GTCOA Attn: Marsha Johnson 520 W. Front St. Traverse City, MI 49684
- Completed applications for Leelanau County are submitted to Leelanau County Senior Services (Cathy Hartsvelt) to be distributed to Support Team members.
Email: email@example.com or Mail to: LCSS Attn: Cathy Hartsvelt 8527 E. Government Center Dr. Suite 106 Suttons Bay, MI 49682
- Support team members are to review the emailed application and if alternative assistance options are known, they are to be reported back to the COA/LCSS. A majority consensus of respondents is needed.
- The BASA advocate is to follow up on alternative resources with the senior making the request (this is not the responsibility of the COA/LCSS)
- With support from the team members, the COA/LCSS will authorize payment to vendor (checks are not distributed to individuals – but to vendors only)
Revisions Approved 7/20/16
If you are interested in getting involved with Senior Support, contact the BASA Co-Chair.